Healthy Snacks for the Whole FamilyLiving healthy is not just for adults, but everyone. Even if one person needs to lose weight in a family, the entire group can benefit from eating a bit better. Here are some ideas for healthy snacks for the family.
Snacking is necessary. Many think that snacking is what kills your diet and ruins all of your hard work, but that is not the truth. In fact, many eating plans encourage snacking.
Eating three meals a day is a thing of the past. When you eat several small meals each day, your metabolism is stoked all day and you burn more calories. More calories burned equals more weight lost.
Snacks play an integral part in this equation. By eating a little something mid-morning and mid-afternoon, you keep the hunger at bay. If you can get out ahead of those hunger pains, they you will always feel satisfied and never deprived.
Snacking helps to curb overeating. If you ate breakfast at nine and are waiting until one o’clock for lunch, you will be mighty hungry by the time you get to eat. Having a small snack in between helps you to eat less at lunch because you aren’t as hungry. You can portion sizes better than if you were ravenous.
Healthy Snack Ideas
Here are some healthy snack ideas that you can buy or make at home to satisfy everyone’s needs.
* Veggies and dip – This is a snack that you can chomp on while watching the basketball play-offs or a scary movie. Choose your favorite raw vegetables and use fat free veggie dip or even hummus to add flavor to your snack.
* Fruit – Fruit is a great idea. For one, it helps to curb the sweet tooth with its natural sweetness. Eating whole fruit also provides more fiber for your diet. Fiber keeps you feeling full and satisfied longer that eating a candy bar for a snack. If you want, invest in a food dehydrator and create easy-to-carry dried fruit snacks to eat whenever you need a boost.
* Fruit salad – Mix together some seasonal fruits such as melon chunks, strawberries, pineapple, apples, kiwi, berries and grapes and add a couple of spoons of natural or Greek yogurt for a creamy and filling snack with a good mix of anti-oxidants and protein.
* Boiled eggs – They are not just for breakfast. Carry a couple with you on a long trip. They are packed with protein. Protein at every meal, particularly breakfast, will fight the cravings better than anything.
* Trail Mix – Make this at home and carry it anywhere. Store bought is okay but it can contain extra calories or ingredients that you don’t like. Homemade trail mix only contains what you like. Fix enough for a week at a time and store. Try peanuts, granola, dried fruit, raisins, almonds, dark chocolate pieces and seeds.
* Apple and nuts – A simple snack that travels well – an apple or apple slices with a handful of unsalted mixed nuts or some almond / cashew / peanut butter makes a healthy and easy snack on the go.
* Cereal and berries – Another one that’s not just for breakfast. A small bowl full of sugar free wholegrain cereal with a little milk / almond milk and a handful of mixed berries plus a drizzle of honey can be a sweet, satisfying treat any time of the day.
The simplest snacks are sometimes the best. It doesn’t take much to fill you up and keep you going between meals. Snacking healthy can benefit the whole family.
Feel free to send me a FRIEND REQUEST, I am always posting awesome stuff on my timeline too! www.facebook.com/kelly.bagnasco
Don’t just LIKE it, SHARE it so your friends see it! It also saves it in your Timeline Photo Album so it’s stored for later! Just click on the picture and click SHARE at the bottom.
For more healthy recipes, tips, motivation, and fun, join us at Slimmer You